I’ve never heard of a meme before. It’s some sort of cultural thing that, at times, goes around the blogsphere. I am to write 7 things about me that you do not know. I was tagged by Jan Smith who wrote 7 things about herself on her blog. She sailed a boat around the world! Check out her 7 things. They are fascinating.
So here goes:
1. I was born and lived for 6 years in Churchill, Manitoba. Churchill is home to the polar bears as it is directly in their migration route. Yes, I’ve seen polar bears. We used to be driven from house to house for Halloween because it was really cold and snowing and it was bear season! I have worn sealskin mukaluks that were traditionally made by an Inuit elder who chewed the skin used for the bottom of the boots! I’ve worn a real arctic parka, complete with fox fur around the hood and listened to iceburgs “explode” on the Hudson’s Bay. They didn’t really explode, they just cracked apart and it sounded like they exploded. I missed the sound of the fog horn for years after we moved.
2. I love fishing and grew up in the outdoors camping and fishing. I do not hunt and cannot kill anything except for a bug or two. Our family did this because my father was a trapper before he was married, complete with dog teams! I plan on writing his stories this summer.
3. I have been chased by a sow black bear with cubs. I had an Irish Setter dog who treed the cubs and when a very, very vexed sow came after him, he decided that hiding behind me was a grand idea! I hold the record for the fastest .5mile on record! I was 15 and was….fishing!
4. I am an insomniac.
5. I’ve travelled to Poland (Warsaw) and the Ukraine. My grandfather left behind a family in the Ukraine and in the late 90′s a man who grew up with my mom, a retired teacher, was teaching technology in a small village when a hunched over old lady with a cane asked him if he knew my grandfather. It turns out that old lady was my mom’s half-sister. Can you believe this! What are the odds! It was like an Oprah moment. So we had to go over and meet all the cousins etc… It was like going through a time-warp back to the 1930′s or 40′s. In the city they shut the water off between 10am and 6pm. People fill buckets and bathtubs with water. You’re lucky to find a place with a flush toilet! Like camping! I laughed a lot while I was there. I would go back in a heartbeat.
6. I love to cook and am a Food TV junkie. I own tons of cookbooks. I have lemons preserving on the counter that will be ready next week. Moroccan cuisine is coming up – tagine to be sure.
7. I never learned to crawl. My mom wouldn’t put me on the floor in Churchill because she thought it was too cold. Result: I have very underdeveloped bi-lateral co-ordination. Means: I’m the clumsiest person you’ve ever met. I am not allowed to play baseball as my husband says I’m a 911 call. I tripped over the mutt, landed in the open dishwasher and had to have my face glued back together in the ER. Good news: I do not scar. The dog died 4 months later. Karma?!
Please link back to me so I can read your 7 things! Can’t wait….