While doing course reading about Literature Reviews an interesting assignment came up. The assignment was to envision a dinner party for twelve people, living or dead, who you would like to invite to discuss your inquiry research question with. This turned out to be quite the fascinating little adventure. For the purpose of the blog post, let’s just change it a little.
Envision a dinner party for twelve, living or dead, who you would like to invite to discuss education today with. Any aspect of education that “rubs” you, causes some angst, creates great passion.
My twelve guests:
1. John Dewey – to discuss the direction or re-direction education might/should head in in the 21 Century.
2. Sonia Livingstone – to discuss the use of technology in school and the effect of technology on children in general.
3. Jason Ohler – to discuss the use/power of digital storytelling in Language Arts programs.
4. Albert Einstein -to discuss what he thinks of education today and would it have been of benefit to him and why.
5. Parker Palmer – to discuss the ‘inner landscape of a teacher’ and its importance to teachers.
6. Lev Vygotski – to discuss how he would create curriculum with technology integration.
7. Jacque Rousseau – to discuss what his thoughts are on education in the 21st Century. What might he change and why?
8. Lucy McCormick Calkins – to discuss writing with children and any thoughts on technology integration in this process
9. Kieran Egan – to discuss imagination, play and creativity in education as well as changes in education and the educational theories that apparently do not mesh
10. Will Richardson – to discuss the uses to technology tools to enhance education
11. Stephen D. Brookfield – to discuss being a critically reflective teacher and its implications on teaching and teachers.
12. Thomas L.Friedman – to discuss the implications of technology on the future.
What an interesting evening of conversation, discussion, argument(?) this would be!
Who would your twelve dinner quests be and why would you invite them?